Bayer Leverkusen fans react with embarrassment after Die Werkself’s official Twitter account trolls Arsenal keeper Petr Cech
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Bayer Leverkusen fans have reacted with embarrassment to their clubs attempt to troll Arsenal keeper Petr Cech. Read on for our resident German football expert and Arsenal writer Rosie Tudball’s piece on the fallout from the Bundesliga club’s clumsy attempt at humour Unai Emery’s side lost 2-0 to Manchester City.
Fans have reacted to Petr Cech’s twitter quarrel with Bayer Leverkusen after the Arsenal goalkeeper was mocked by the club.
The 36-year-old has challenged the values of the German club after the argument broke out over his performance against Manchester City on Sunday.
Bayer Leverkusen season ticket holder Stahn Telhabt told the Islington Gazette that he was ‘embarrassed’ of his teams disrespect towards Petr Cech.
“I think the tweet was stupid and showed real disrespect to a legend like Cech. It sums up modern day football and living in the present of the game. I didn’t like what was said, I was embarrassed.”
You may also want to watch:
Leverkusen’s official English account suggested that their former player Bernd Leno would not have made the same mistakes that Cech did, by posting a video of Leno playing the ball out from the back.
The tweet picked up a lot of attention, but was deleted as Petr Cech chose to directly respond.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“At Arsenal we share important values which make us a big club not only on the football side. Fair competition, professionalism and sportsmanship are the biggest ones you teach young footballers and it’s sad to see when other clubs don’t share the same values.”
Fans of both sides have reacted on social media. @LTArsenal said: “Petr Cech is not the kind of player to play out from the back. He was good yesterday and kept us in the game. Credit where due. The video by Bayer Leverkusen lacked class. You can call it banter, but it was very disrespectful to Cech, coming from an official club handle.”
On the other side, a Bayer Leverkusen fan @Bayer_PITTI stood in Leno’s corner, claiming that the real scandal is that Emery ‘dismantles’ German goalkeepers with reference to his time at PSG with Kevin Trapp.
Leverkusen did offer an apology to Cech writing: “It seems our joke about wanting to see Leno, our former player, in action has been taken a bit more harshly/personally than intended. It was only a bit of banter. We’re all for the values you’ve stated and wish you and your big club all the best. Nice 1v1 save on Aguero!”