Bees sting Arsenal behind closed doors
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal suffered a 3-2 defeat against Brentford in a behnid-closed-doors friendly at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.
Having beaten Charlton 6-0 at the weekend, the Gunners saw Bukayo Saka and Joe Willock spurn chances from Nicolas Pepe and Kieran Tierney crosses early on.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang forced the Bees goalkeeper into action to save a well-struck shot, before the hosts opened the scoring on 40 minutes as Willock slotted home.
Pepe hit the post just before the break, when boss Mikel Arteta made five changes to his side.
Bernd Leno saved from Shandon Baptiste after the restart, while Shkodran Mustafi went close with a header from a corner.
You may also want to watch:
Ainsley Maitland-Niles teed up Alex Lacazette, who fired over, before Tarique Fosu levelled on 70 minutes with a strong shot past Emi Martinez.
Arsenal regained the lead moments later as Lacazette’s shot on the turn beating Luke Daniels, but Brentford were back on terms when the French striker lost possession and Halil Dervisoglu went through to fire low inside the far post.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
And the visitors grabbed a late winner when Baptiste netted, after another turnover in possession.
Arsenal (first half): Leno, Bellerin, Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Tierney, Willock, Ceballos, Saka, Pepe, Nketiah, Aubameyang.
Second half: Leno (Martinez 60), Bellerin (Sokratis 60), Mustafi (Holding 60), David Luiz, Tierney (Kolasinac 60), Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Ozil, Aubameyang (Nelson 60) (Coyle 85), Lacazette, Saka.