Belgian filmmakers search for Islington man who cheered up country after defeat to England at 1990 World Cup
- Credit: Archant
Filmmakers in Belgium are hoping to track down a cheeky Islington football fan who embarrassed his girlfriend live on TV after an England match in the 1990 World Cup.
The Three Lions had just beaten Belgium in the last minute of extra time after a memorable David Platt goal.
Laurence Penn and his Flemish girlfriend, whose name isn’t known, were sitting in the audience of a television show that aired the game live. Afterwards, the host started interviewing the audience.
Attempting to explain the sequence of events that for some reason captivated a nation, journalist Robbe Boon said: “The host asks for a reaction from the girlfriend after the match.
“She is very upset, crying and almost devastated because of the loss.
You may also want to watch:
“The host asks Penn if he wasn’t teasing her too much.
“Penn responds with: ‘I don’t know, I’ve got the car keys so I’ll be fine,’ and laughs a bit.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
“The girlfriend was shooting daggers. They were recognised for months after it aired.”
He added: “We are making a program about people who were on television. Laurence reacted in a funny way and the whole country witnessed this. We would love to talk to him about this experience.”
Are you Laurence? E-mail at the Gazette: firstname.lastname@example.org.