Blaze sparked by attempts to cook spaghetti with toaster in Hornsey Rise
A reckless attempt to cook spaghetti with a toaster sparked a huge maisonette blaze forcing two men to flee.
Four fire engines and 20 firefighters were rushed to Warltersville Road, in Hornsey Rise, last night after fire erupted when the men attempted to heat a can of tinned pasta by placing it on the toaster.
The lucky pair got out before the fire crews reached the scene and escaped injury – but the property was left heavily damaged.
Watch manager Adam Barnett said: “The two men had wedged the toaster on and were cooking a tin of spaghetti on top of it. Thankfully no one was injured and we managed to prevent the fire from spreading to other homes.
“There were no smoke alarms in the property so I’d urge everyone to get one today. And it’s never a good idea to try and heat a tin on your toaster, as we’ve seen here, it can be really dangerous.”
You may also want to watch:
The Fire Brigade was called at about 9.35pm and had the flames under control shortly after 10pm.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 4 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 7 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules