Body found in Regent’s Canal identified
- Credit: Archant
The man whose body was recovered from the Regent’s Canal last week has been named by police.
Although formal identification has yet to take place, detectives are satisfied the deceased is 46-year-old Sebastiano Magnanini.
Mr Magnanini was originally from Italy but was living and working in south London. His next of kin have been informed.
Police were alerted to the scene at Islington Tunnel, near Colebrook Row, just after 9am on Thursday September 24 after the body was discovered by a member of the public.
A post-mortem examination took place at the Whittington Hospital on Friday, September 25. The cause of death is still unknown at this stage and further tests will be undertaken.
You may also want to watch:
The death is being treated as suspicious.
Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC), led by Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Reeves are investigating.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 4 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
They continue to appeal to anyone who was in Muriel Street, N1 and the Regent’s Canal area to get in touch as any information they hold could assist with understanding the sequence of events which led to Mr Magnanini’s death.
DCI Reeves said: “This has been devastating for Sebastiano’s family. On the afternoon of Tuesday, September 22, Sebastiano travelled into central London on public transport. I would like to hear from anyone who may have seen him in the Euston area at around 16:50.
“We also believe that he was in the Kings Cross and Caledonian Road area at around 18:50. If you think you may have seen Sebastiano at any point or you know what happened to him please get in contact.”
No arrests have been made and enquiries continue.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police via the incident room on 020 8721 4868, alternatively, the police non-emergency line on 101 or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.