Brave cancer survivor from Islington takes to catwalk
A breast cancer survivor is gearing for a catwalk appearance to support others suffering at the hands of the disease.Christine Barker, 46, of Highbury Grove, Highbury, will be modelling designer outfits selected by world-renowned trend expert Hillary Alexander in an effort to raise funds for charity Breast Cancer Care on Wednesday, October 5.
Her devastating diagnosis came in January last year and she has only just reached the end of gruelling treatment which has included chemotherapy, radiotherapy and a mastectomy.
Christine is now keen to prove that there is life after breast cancer by taking part in the charity’s annual fashion show along with 23 other women who have overcome the disease.
She said: “A friend kindly invited me to attend last year’s fashion show at a time when I was feeling very low. I left the event feeling hugely inspired and encouraged by the models and their stories.
“Being involved in this year’s show has been an opportunity to meet other people who have been through a similar experience. Among the many emotions that come with having breast cancer, feeling isolated and lonely was one of the hardest things to deal with.
You may also want to watch:
“It also gives me the chance to thank family and friends who have supported me every step of the way. If by participating in this year’s show, I can help other people affected by breast cancer to look forward to life after cancer, I will have achieved what I set out to do.”
Last year’s show raised almost half a million pounds towards helping the 50,000 women who are diagnosed with breast cancer every year.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 8 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
The fashion show takes place at the Grosvenor House Hotel. Tickets, which cost �69, can be bought by calling 020 7960 3554 or emailling email@example.com
If you are unable to attend the show but still want to show your support for Christine, visit http://www.justgiving.com/theshow2011/