Breaking news: Bomb scare at Whittington Hospital sees patients evacuated
Patients and staff have been evacuated from Whittington Hospital after a bomb scare caused by a suspect package.
Police are on the scene and have cordoned off streets surrounding the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Archway.
The suspicious package was found in the accident and emergency (A&E) ward, which has been evacuated along with other departments that are close by.
Andy McGlinchley, 33, who works in the pathology department, said: “We heard a rumour that something was going on and we looked out of the window and saw police everywhere.
“Pretty soon the security came up and evacuated us – we were one of the last because we work on the fifth floor. They have evacuated all the staff and I imagine they will move the able-bodied patients as well.
You may also want to watch:
“We were milling around outside for a while, but they keep moving us back and back. It’s making everyone anxious because it sounds like its getting more serious.”
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “A suspect package was found at Whittington Hospital at about 2pm. A&E has been evacuated as a precaution and Met officers are on the scene and are dealing with the incident.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 4 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
“They have cordoned off some neighbouring streets, again as a precaution.”
A spokesman for Whittington Health, which runs the hospital, said: “A suspect package was left in the accident department and as a precaution we have evacuated the building and a 100 metre cordon is in place around the building. I also understand we have the bomb squad in attendance.”