Breaking news: Bomb scare at Whittington Hospital sees patients evacuated
Patients and staff have been evacuated from Whittington Hospital after a bomb scare caused by a suspect package.
Police are on the scene and have cordoned off streets surrounding the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Archway.
The suspicious package was found in the accident and emergency (A&E) ward, which has been evacuated along with other departments that are close by.
Andy McGlinchley, 33, who works in the pathology department, said: “We heard a rumour that something was going on and we looked out of the window and saw police everywhere.
“Pretty soon the security came up and evacuated us – we were one of the last because we work on the fifth floor. They have evacuated all the staff and I imagine they will move the able-bodied patients as well.
“We were milling around outside for a while, but they keep moving us back and back. It’s making everyone anxious because it sounds like its getting more serious.”
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “A suspect package was found at Whittington Hospital at about 2pm. A&E has been evacuated as a precaution and Met officers are on the scene and are dealing with the incident.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 3 Arsenal begin pre-season in strong position
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 6 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 7 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 8 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 9 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 10 Protest erupts at the North London Waste Authority re-election meeting
“They have cordoned off some neighbouring streets, again as a precaution.”
A spokesman for Whittington Health, which runs the hospital, said: “A suspect package was left in the accident department and as a precaution we have evacuated the building and a 100 metre cordon is in place around the building. I also understand we have the bomb squad in attendance.”