BT wants to put futuristic phone boxes in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Futuristic phone boxes offering ultrafast internet, charging pods and free calls could be on their way to Islington’s streets.
BT is hoping councillors will give them planning permission to install the “Inlink” units in 11 locations across the borough.
Caledonian Road, Central Street, Seven Sisters Road, Fonthill Road, Old Street, Holloway Road Islington High Street and Blackstock Road could all get them if permission is granted on Monday.
The boxes also offer tube service updates, weather forecasts and community messaging. They would follow the arrival of “smart benches”, similar technology which has been installed in Islington Green, Newington Green, Old Street and Essex Road.
Whether people are brave enough to get their phones out and use the machines remains to be seen, though. There are nine phone snatches a day on Islington’s streets.
You may also want to watch:
Gerry McQuade of BT said: “This is the phone box of the future. It brings the payphone up-to-date and gives people the services they need.”
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020