Budding politician set to perform at Islington’s Rosemary Branch Theatre
- Credit: Archant
A Green Party election candidate is to stand trial for moneylending crimes in Islington – albeit only on the stage.
Ashley Gunstock, who has appeared in hit crime TV shows including The Bill and Inspector Morse, will star in a new production of The Trial of the Jew Shylock at Rosemary Branch Theatre in Shepperton Road.
The actor was one of the original cast members of the hit TV police drama The Bill, playing PC Robin Frank, and is now hoping to win a seat on Redbridge Council in East London.
The play, which runs from May 13 to June 1, is an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice and will depict the characters in today’s “wheeling, dealing money world” to explore wealth.
You may also want to watch:
As well as examining the culture of the banking world, the production will focus on the anti-semitic and racist attitudes within the play, highlighting the need for tolerance and understanding.
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 4 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 5 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 6 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 7 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 8 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital