Budding politician set to perform at Islington’s Rosemary Branch Theatre
- Credit: Archant
A Green Party election candidate is to stand trial for moneylending crimes in Islington – albeit only on the stage.
Ashley Gunstock, who has appeared in hit crime TV shows including The Bill and Inspector Morse, will star in a new production of The Trial of the Jew Shylock at Rosemary Branch Theatre in Shepperton Road.
The actor was one of the original cast members of the hit TV police drama The Bill, playing PC Robin Frank, and is now hoping to win a seat on Redbridge Council in East London.
The play, which runs from May 13 to June 1, is an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice and will depict the characters in today’s “wheeling, dealing money world” to explore wealth.
You may also want to watch:
As well as examining the culture of the banking world, the production will focus on the anti-semitic and racist attitudes within the play, highlighting the need for tolerance and understanding.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 9 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 10 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years