Budding politician set to perform at Islington’s Rosemary Branch Theatre
- Credit: Archant
A Green Party election candidate is to stand trial for moneylending crimes in Islington – albeit only on the stage.
Ashley Gunstock, who has appeared in hit crime TV shows including The Bill and Inspector Morse, will star in a new production of The Trial of the Jew Shylock at Rosemary Branch Theatre in Shepperton Road.
The actor was one of the original cast members of the hit TV police drama The Bill, playing PC Robin Frank, and is now hoping to win a seat on Redbridge Council in East London.
The play, which runs from May 13 to June 1, is an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice and will depict the characters in today’s “wheeling, dealing money world” to explore wealth.
You may also want to watch:
As well as examining the culture of the banking world, the production will focus on the anti-semitic and racist attitudes within the play, highlighting the need for tolerance and understanding.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 6 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 7 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 8 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 9 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 10 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans