Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- Credit: PA
The by-election to replace Claudia Webbe as a councillor in Bunhill is now set to go ahead in May, following her formal notice of resignation.
Cllr Webbe was elected Labour MP for Leicester East, about 80 miles from Islington, in December 2019.
Since then she has received her MP's salary of £79,468 alongside a basic allowance of £10,519 in her capacity as an Islington councillor.
Islington Labour delayed the by-election to replace her to coincide with the mayoral and London Assembly polls - due to take place in May 2020 - but the government postponed all elections for a year because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The party announced Valerie Bossman-Quarshie would stand as their candidate in Bunhill in February, although Cllr Webbe needed to formally resign to trigger the by-election.
You may also want to watch:
The cut-off date for her resignation to trigger the by-election was next Monday (March 29).
Islington Council announced in January that a by-election would be held held for Holloway ward on May 6 - the same day as the London Mayor and Greater London Assembly elections - following the resignation of Cllr Paul Smith.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 5 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 6 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 7 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Teyah Goldie, 16, makes Arsenal squad for north London derby
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed