Bursting pipes alerted elderly woman who escaped from Islington flat fire
- Credit: sub
An elderly woman escaped a fire in her Islington flat yesterday (January 16) when she was woken by the sound of bursting pipes.
Firefighters were called to the flat in Orchard Mews at just after 3am where they found smoke pouring from the windows.
The woman and her neighbour were treated for shock and taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service.
Part of the flat, which was not fitted with a smoke alarm, and the roof were damaged in the blaze.
Watch manager Anthony Marshall who was at the scene said: “There was smoke pouring from the windows when we arrived and so it was lucky that the woman had woken up and left the flat. However, the flat did not have a smoke alarm and it was the sound of bursting water pipes that alerted her to the danger.
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t stress how important it is to have a smoke alarm, it could be the only warning you get that your home is on fire. They should be fitted on every floor of the house.”
Four fire engines went to the scene with 21 firefighters and officers from Islington, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington fire stations.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 8 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault.