Business: City and Islington college gives students concrete experience
- Credit: Archant
A new initiative aiming to give young people a start in the world of business was on show at City and Islington college on Thursday.
The brainchild of brand developer Sophia White, the In Project gave students real-life experience of working in the creative industry, by pairing them with companies looking for designers.
The scheme’s pilot was trialled at the Camden Road college over the past ten weeks and saw six students design the logo and website for audio business Global Soundbhub.
“It’s a great scheme, because it gives them [the students] the opportunity to do something concrete for their CV,” said Bradley Howard, owner of Global Soundhub.
And this was a point echoed by the business centre’s director Stephen Davies, who said the project was “about having work and experience at the centre of everything we do.”
The website was unveiled during a presentation at the college, with its stylish design impressing many at the event.
And 21-year-old student Ryan Clark says he’s taken a lot of valuable skills from the experience.
- 1 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 2 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 7 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 8 Let's Talk: Campaign launched to tackle Islington inequality
- 9 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 10 Hundreds enjoy Jewish festival of lights in Islington
“Before this, everything I did was on my own, off my own initiative,” he said.
“But teaming up with people I didn’t really know before has showed me the value of working with others and interacting with real businesses.”
To view the website the students created, visit globalsoundhub.com/