Business Design Centre at 30: ‘We helped Upper Street change for the better’
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s Business Design Centre celebrates its 30th anniversary – and the regeneration of Upper Street – on Thursday.
The former Royal Agricultural Hall building had stood vacant since 1970.
But after 16 years, it was redeveloped by Sam Morris into the conference and exhibition venue – from stamp exhibitions to Christmas fairs – it remains today.
Max Bull, executive director of venue sales, said: “Hopefully we are seen as playing a big part in continuing the regeneration of the area.
“I’ve worked here for 16 years and have seen how it’s changed massively. Upper Street is now a really vibrant, exciting place to be.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “New visitors are always taken aback seeing this conference venue in the middle of a really bustling area.
“Venues like this aren’t usually in the middle of busy high streets, like the NEC [in Birmingham] or ExCeL [near Canary Wharf].
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 6 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 7 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative
- 10 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
“But the Business Design Centre has great synergy with Upper Street.”
Speaking of the centre’s longevity, Mr Bull added: “I think the fact it’s still a family-owned business has helped us remain successful.
“The same values that the Morris family created in 1986 have been maintained: a friendly, family feel with quality customer service.
“We’ve won quite a lot of industry awards, which is proof of that.”