Business of the week: Acoustic, Jeremy Corbyn’s favourite restaurant in Newington Green
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visited Newington Green’s Acoustic: Jeremy Corbyn’s favourite restaurant.
There was only one thing for Jeremy Corbyn and his wife, Laura, to do on general election night last year. Have a meal at Acoustic in Newington Green.
The Mediterranean joint has been on the Green for eight years. And its local MP can’t get enough of it. He said: “We can’t start a Labour Party canvassing session in Mildmay without going to Acoustic first. Sometimes... we stay in Acoustic!”
It’s run by Sefika Erdal and Adil Kolcak. The food, in their words, is a mix of “healthy and hearty”. And they guaranteed positive coverage in the Gazette by providing the best hummus its reporter has ever tasted.
Acoustic continues to thrive. On Friday, it opened a second shop in nearby Stoke Newington Church Street – with Mr Corbyn taking the time to attend and cut the ribbon.
You may also want to watch:
Adil said: “We know in our Newington Green restaurant that customers come from Stoke Newington, so we thought it was a good idea to open there as well.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 6 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 9 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'