Business of the week: Acoustic, Jeremy Corbyn’s favourite restaurant in Newington Green
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visited Newington Green’s Acoustic: Jeremy Corbyn’s favourite restaurant.
There was only one thing for Jeremy Corbyn and his wife, Laura, to do on general election night last year. Have a meal at Acoustic in Newington Green.
The Mediterranean joint has been on the Green for eight years. And its local MP can’t get enough of it. He said: “We can’t start a Labour Party canvassing session in Mildmay without going to Acoustic first. Sometimes... we stay in Acoustic!”
It’s run by Sefika Erdal and Adil Kolcak. The food, in their words, is a mix of “healthy and hearty”. And they guaranteed positive coverage in the Gazette by providing the best hummus its reporter has ever tasted.
Acoustic continues to thrive. On Friday, it opened a second shop in nearby Stoke Newington Church Street – with Mr Corbyn taking the time to attend and cut the ribbon.
You may also want to watch:
Adil said: “We know in our Newington Green restaurant that customers come from Stoke Newington, so we thought it was a good idea to open there as well.”
- 1 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 2 Can you help identify this man?
- 3 Shops, pubs and hairdressers reopen across Islington today
- 4 Toxic air, Covid, Ramadan, rehoming cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Macmillan CEO thanks retiring Islington firefighter for £25,000 donation
- 6 'Light at the end of the tunnel': Upper Street shoppers excited to end lockdown
- 7 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
- 8 Bowie-inspired bar in Finsbury Park faces opposition
- 9 Shannon Courtenay crowned WBA Bantamweight World Champion
- 10 Islington mayor complains about ‘saturation’ of licenced venues in Archway