Business of the week: Angel Aquarium, Essex Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Angel Aquarium, which is still going strong after 36 years in Essex Road.
In an age where fishkeepers increasingly buy equipment online, aquariums are a dying breed on high streets.
Thanksfully, Islington’s Angel Aquarium, in Essex Road, is still thriving.
It has been going for 36 years and retains a loyal customer base – including Gazette reporters.
Aaron Barkham took over the shop in 2014. He said: “A Chinese couple ran the shop before me. They were going to close it down. I live in the flat above and I wanted to do something about it.
“I have no background running aquariums, and it was never my intention to work here. But I ended up giving up my job as a psychiatric nurse at Homerton Hospital.”
He added: “We have such a wide range of customers and we take really good care of our fish and animals. It’s not just a shop where people just buy fish and leave. We like to build relationships with customers.
- 1 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 2 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 3 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 4 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 5 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 6 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 7 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 8 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
“I’ve experienced it myself in aquariums where staff are unfriendly and patronising. There are no stupid questions here – we are all really friendly.”