Business of the week: Angel Aquarium, Essex Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Angel Aquarium, which is still going strong after 36 years in Essex Road.
In an age where fishkeepers increasingly buy equipment online, aquariums are a dying breed on high streets.
Thanksfully, Islington’s Angel Aquarium, in Essex Road, is still thriving.
It has been going for 36 years and retains a loyal customer base – including Gazette reporters.
Aaron Barkham took over the shop in 2014. He said: “A Chinese couple ran the shop before me. They were going to close it down. I live in the flat above and I wanted to do something about it.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no background running aquariums, and it was never my intention to work here. But I ended up giving up my job as a psychiatric nurse at Homerton Hospital.”
He added: “We have such a wide range of customers and we take really good care of our fish and animals. It’s not just a shop where people just buy fish and leave. We like to build relationships with customers.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
“I’ve experienced it myself in aquariums where staff are unfriendly and patronising. There are no stupid questions here – we are all really friendly.”