Business of the week: Angel Aquarium, Essex Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Angel Aquarium, which is still going strong after 36 years in Essex Road.
In an age where fishkeepers increasingly buy equipment online, aquariums are a dying breed on high streets.
Thanksfully, Islington’s Angel Aquarium, in Essex Road, is still thriving.
It has been going for 36 years and retains a loyal customer base – including Gazette reporters.
Aaron Barkham took over the shop in 2014. He said: “A Chinese couple ran the shop before me. They were going to close it down. I live in the flat above and I wanted to do something about it.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no background running aquariums, and it was never my intention to work here. But I ended up giving up my job as a psychiatric nurse at Homerton Hospital.”
He added: “We have such a wide range of customers and we take really good care of our fish and animals. It’s not just a shop where people just buy fish and leave. We like to build relationships with customers.
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 8 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 9 Can you help identify this man?
- 10 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
“I’ve experienced it myself in aquariums where staff are unfriendly and patronising. There are no stupid questions here – we are all really friendly.”