Business of the week: Angel Aquarium, Essex Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Angel Aquarium, which is still going strong after 36 years in Essex Road.
In an age where fishkeepers increasingly buy equipment online, aquariums are a dying breed on high streets.
Thanksfully, Islington’s Angel Aquarium, in Essex Road, is still thriving.
It has been going for 36 years and retains a loyal customer base – including Gazette reporters.
Aaron Barkham took over the shop in 2014. He said: “A Chinese couple ran the shop before me. They were going to close it down. I live in the flat above and I wanted to do something about it.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no background running aquariums, and it was never my intention to work here. But I ended up giving up my job as a psychiatric nurse at Homerton Hospital.”
He added: “We have such a wide range of customers and we take really good care of our fish and animals. It’s not just a shop where people just buy fish and leave. We like to build relationships with customers.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
“I’ve experienced it myself in aquariums where staff are unfriendly and patronising. There are no stupid questions here – we are all really friendly.”