Business of the week: Bike shop Clever Mike (and the mechanics) on five years in Hornsey Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop in on Clever Mike, a bike shop that has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Carrack.
Clever Mike’s seven bike mechanics are capable of everything from re-fitting brakes to building bikes on request.
Founder and shop owner David Donker Curtius, 29, opened the shop in January 2013 after completing his own training in the trade.
It has been a success story ever since, he told the Gazette: “Within the year we had doubled our space, and by our second year we had moved within the building to ensure we had a whole shop window front of our own.”
David told the Gazette he’s happy the shop is local in the heart of Islington, in Hornsey Road.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s an unusual location,” he said. “There are lots of different companies in our building and lots of different things going on.”
And he hopes to wheel out more Clever Mike branches in the future, he said.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 5 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 8 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
“I would love to expand, there’s definitely room for more bike shops in Islington,” he told the Gazette.