Business of the week: Bike shop Clever Mike (and the mechanics) on five years in Hornsey Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop in on Clever Mike, a bike shop that has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Carrack.
Clever Mike’s seven bike mechanics are capable of everything from re-fitting brakes to building bikes on request.
Founder and shop owner David Donker Curtius, 29, opened the shop in January 2013 after completing his own training in the trade.
It has been a success story ever since, he told the Gazette: “Within the year we had doubled our space, and by our second year we had moved within the building to ensure we had a whole shop window front of our own.”
David told the Gazette he’s happy the shop is local in the heart of Islington, in Hornsey Road.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s an unusual location,” he said. “There are lots of different companies in our building and lots of different things going on.”
And he hopes to wheel out more Clever Mike branches in the future, he said.
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 7 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
“I would love to expand, there’s definitely room for more bike shops in Islington,” he told the Gazette.