Business of the week: Bike shop Clever Mike (and the mechanics) on five years in Hornsey Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop in on Clever Mike, a bike shop that has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Carrack.
Clever Mike’s seven bike mechanics are capable of everything from re-fitting brakes to building bikes on request.
Founder and shop owner David Donker Curtius, 29, opened the shop in January 2013 after completing his own training in the trade.
It has been a success story ever since, he told the Gazette: “Within the year we had doubled our space, and by our second year we had moved within the building to ensure we had a whole shop window front of our own.”
David told the Gazette he’s happy the shop is local in the heart of Islington, in Hornsey Road.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s an unusual location,” he said. “There are lots of different companies in our building and lots of different things going on.”
And he hopes to wheel out more Clever Mike branches in the future, he said.
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Walk with a map
- 7 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 8 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
“I would love to expand, there’s definitely room for more bike shops in Islington,” he told the Gazette.