Business of the week: Criterion, auctioneers in Essex Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Criterion auctioneers, which has been selling collectables in Essex Road for 28 years.
Nestled between Essex Road boozers is a business you’d be well advised to enter only while sober.
That’s unless you want to wake up hugging an antique dressing table you have no recollection of buying.
Criterion’s shopfront saleroom, near the Gaskin Street junction, has been in Islington since 1989. With viewings over the weekend, sale commences every Monday at the 3pm auction.
Marketing manager Tracy Martin, known for appearances on BBC show Flog It!, said: “We auction everything from furniture to jewellery. If there’s anything you might have hidden in your attic and don’t want, we can either value it on site or come to people’s homes. As long as we think it’s marketable, we will try and auction it.”
You may also want to watch:
Tracy only joined Criterion four weeks ago, and is looking to bring the business “into the 21st century”. She said: “Historically, Criterion has been about paintings and pictures. But auctioneering has changed so much and I want to expand our sales.”
- 1 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 7 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 8 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 9 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 10 Finsbury Park mentoring charity appeals for BAME volunteers