Business of the week: Highbury flooring specialist Michael Jones is as enthusiastic as ever 56 years on
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile an established or unusual Islington business. This week we take a look at the foundations of Michael Jones’ flooring company in St Paul’s Road.
M P Jones Flooring has been at the heart of Islington for almost 40 years – and its 71-year-old owner has no plans to retire any time soon.
Michael Jones’s wife Moira said: “Some people say: ‘How on earth he does he still do this?’ but he’s fit as a flea.
“He’s still got bundles of energy.”
The flooring specialist first set up shop in Upper Street in 1970, moving into St Paul’s Road 10 years later.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s so well-known in the area,” said Moira. “He’s laid most of their floors!
“We’ve never placed an advert anywhere, we’ve not got a website, and he tends to work from word of mouth. It’ll be customers just recommending him.”
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Islington arts groups get £6.6m government Covid boost
- 8 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 9 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 10 Can you help identify this man?
Michael has been in the flooring industry since he was 15 and decided to strike out on his own after working for big clients like Argos and Marks and Spencer’s. One of his higher profile clients was Boris Johnson.
Moira said: “Local people know just because this place isn’t a glamorous showroom doesn’t mean to say we’re not a good business.”