Business of the week: Highbury flooring specialist Michael Jones is as enthusiastic as ever 56 years on
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile an established or unusual Islington business. This week we take a look at the foundations of Michael Jones’ flooring company in St Paul’s Road.
M P Jones Flooring has been at the heart of Islington for almost 40 years – and its 71-year-old owner has no plans to retire any time soon.
Michael Jones’s wife Moira said: “Some people say: ‘How on earth he does he still do this?’ but he’s fit as a flea.
“He’s still got bundles of energy.”
The flooring specialist first set up shop in Upper Street in 1970, moving into St Paul’s Road 10 years later.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s so well-known in the area,” said Moira. “He’s laid most of their floors!
“We’ve never placed an advert anywhere, we’ve not got a website, and he tends to work from word of mouth. It’ll be customers just recommending him.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
Michael has been in the flooring industry since he was 15 and decided to strike out on his own after working for big clients like Argos and Marks and Spencer’s. One of his higher profile clients was Boris Johnson.
Moira said: “Local people know just because this place isn’t a glamorous showroom doesn’t mean to say we’re not a good business.”