Business of the week: Highbury flooring specialist Michael Jones is as enthusiastic as ever 56 years on
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile an established or unusual Islington business. This week we take a look at the foundations of Michael Jones’ flooring company in St Paul’s Road.
M P Jones Flooring has been at the heart of Islington for almost 40 years – and its 71-year-old owner has no plans to retire any time soon.
Michael Jones’s wife Moira said: “Some people say: ‘How on earth he does he still do this?’ but he’s fit as a flea.
“He’s still got bundles of energy.”
The flooring specialist first set up shop in Upper Street in 1970, moving into St Paul’s Road 10 years later.
“He’s so well-known in the area,” said Moira. “He’s laid most of their floors!
“We’ve never placed an advert anywhere, we’ve not got a website, and he tends to work from word of mouth. It’ll be customers just recommending him.”
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 Poorer households in Islington could see council tax cut
- 5 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 6 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 7 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 8 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 9 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
- 10 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
Michael has been in the flooring industry since he was 15 and decided to strike out on his own after working for big clients like Argos and Marks and Spencer’s. One of his higher profile clients was Boris Johnson.
Moira said: “Local people know just because this place isn’t a glamorous showroom doesn’t mean to say we’re not a good business.”