Business of the week: Highbury Vintners, the UK’s ‘best wine retailer’
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Highbury Vintners, which has gone from off-licence to award-winning wine merchant.
Sean Sweeney is so passionate about wine that he makes all his staff take an advanced course on the subject.
It’s no wonder Highbury Vintners, in Highbury Park, won the best independent wine retailer prize at this year’s Drinks Retailing Awards.
And it’s not just about wine: “We have 1,500 different wines and also 400 craft beers,” Sean said. “And we do a lot of tasting events on Friday evenings.
“My father had the shop before me, since 1981. It was mainly an off-licence in those days. But when I took over in 2002, I turned it into a wine merchant.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel blessed to be in this part of Highbury. It has so many good independent shops, like the cheese shop (La Fromagerie) and butchers (Godfreys). It means people shop local.
“Don’t get me wrong, it’s getting harder with so much competition from Tesco and Sainsbury stores, but this is a really good place to be.”
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
- 8 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods