Business of the week: Highbury Vintners, the UK’s ‘best wine retailer’
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Highbury Vintners, which has gone from off-licence to award-winning wine merchant.
Sean Sweeney is so passionate about wine that he makes all his staff take an advanced course on the subject.
It’s no wonder Highbury Vintners, in Highbury Park, won the best independent wine retailer prize at this year’s Drinks Retailing Awards.
And it’s not just about wine: “We have 1,500 different wines and also 400 craft beers,” Sean said. “And we do a lot of tasting events on Friday evenings.
“My father had the shop before me, since 1981. It was mainly an off-licence in those days. But when I took over in 2002, I turned it into a wine merchant.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel blessed to be in this part of Highbury. It has so many good independent shops, like the cheese shop (La Fromagerie) and butchers (Godfreys). It means people shop local.
“Don’t get me wrong, it’s getting harder with so much competition from Tesco and Sainsbury stores, but this is a really good place to be.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 6 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 7 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 8 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 9 Royal Mail 'working hard' but Islington residents report ongoing delays
- 10 Whittington patients increase as Covid 'major incident' declared in London