Business of the week: Highbury Vintners, the UK’s ‘best wine retailer’
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Highbury Vintners, which has gone from off-licence to award-winning wine merchant.
Sean Sweeney is so passionate about wine that he makes all his staff take an advanced course on the subject.
It’s no wonder Highbury Vintners, in Highbury Park, won the best independent wine retailer prize at this year’s Drinks Retailing Awards.
And it’s not just about wine: “We have 1,500 different wines and also 400 craft beers,” Sean said. “And we do a lot of tasting events on Friday evenings.
“My father had the shop before me, since 1981. It was mainly an off-licence in those days. But when I took over in 2002, I turned it into a wine merchant.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel blessed to be in this part of Highbury. It has so many good independent shops, like the cheese shop (La Fromagerie) and butchers (Godfreys). It means people shop local.
“Don’t get me wrong, it’s getting harder with so much competition from Tesco and Sainsbury stores, but this is a really good place to be.”
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal