Business of the week: How dress shop French Mark found a home under the Seven Sisters road bridge
- Credit: Archant
Two decades ago, when Mokrame Guerboukha was an embroider for a host of high street chains, he noticed a padlock on the wall under the Seven Sisters Road railway bridge in Finsbury Park.
He’d been looking for somewhere to open a shop and after making enquiries he finally got to peek on the other side of the door.
He found an abandoned room knee deep in water an dead birds. Now it’s full of beautiful wedding dresses.
“When I came here it was nothing,” he said. “Network Rail didn’t know what I was talking about. There was no electricity or nothing. I don’t think it had been used since they built the bridge.”
He initially paid £1,000 a year in rent. Now he owns the lease and although business has suffered since Brexit, he is still taking orders from far and wide.
You may also want to watch:
“We get local, national and international orders – from Gibraltar and Malta.
“Fonthill Road is known for wholesale so when people leave the station I’m the first shop they see.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham