Business of the week: Junction Pets still going strong in Archway
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visited the long-standing Junction Pets shop in Junction Road, Archway.
A warm smile, a cat called Peanuts and two bearded dragons is what you’re greeted with upon entering Junction Pets in Archway.
The family-run business, owned by Karl Niblett, is part of the ever-smaller family of independent shops in Junction Road.
Of his shop, Karl says: “There’s been a pet shop here since the Second World War. We’ve had the business for 12 years – we’re animal lovers”.
Karl adds a lot of independent shops in Junction Road have closed down recently – but the pet shop business has remained steady.
“The customers know they can come in here for a chat,” he explains, “and get some advice and they don’t have to buy anything.
“We’re a family business and we all work together harmoniously.”
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 7 'An air fryer is this season's must-have for low-fat recipes'
- 8 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 9 London among areas where drought is declared
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
Karl says the shop has also branched out into web retailing: “Being online has helped us attract customers from outside the area, and contrary to what some believe we are not closing down.”