Business of the week: Junction Pets still going strong in Archway
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visited the long-standing Junction Pets shop in Junction Road, Archway.
A warm smile, a cat called Peanuts and two bearded dragons is what you’re greeted with upon entering Junction Pets in Archway.
The family-run business, owned by Karl Niblett, is part of the ever-smaller family of independent shops in Junction Road.
Of his shop, Karl says: “There’s been a pet shop here since the Second World War. We’ve had the business for 12 years – we’re animal lovers”.
Karl adds a lot of independent shops in Junction Road have closed down recently – but the pet shop business has remained steady.
You may also want to watch:
“The customers know they can come in here for a chat,” he explains, “and get some advice and they don’t have to buy anything.
“We’re a family business and we all work together harmoniously.”
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
Karl says the shop has also branched out into web retailing: “Being online has helped us attract customers from outside the area, and contrary to what some believe we are not closing down.”