Business of the week: Junction Pets still going strong in Archway
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visited the long-standing Junction Pets shop in Junction Road, Archway.
A warm smile, a cat called Peanuts and two bearded dragons is what you’re greeted with upon entering Junction Pets in Archway.
The family-run business, owned by Karl Niblett, is part of the ever-smaller family of independent shops in Junction Road.
Of his shop, Karl says: “There’s been a pet shop here since the Second World War. We’ve had the business for 12 years – we’re animal lovers”.
Karl adds a lot of independent shops in Junction Road have closed down recently – but the pet shop business has remained steady.
You may also want to watch:
“The customers know they can come in here for a chat,” he explains, “and get some advice and they don’t have to buy anything.
“We’re a family business and we all work together harmoniously.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
Karl says the shop has also branched out into web retailing: “Being online has helped us attract customers from outside the area, and contrary to what some believe we are not closing down.”