Business of the week: Map Gift Shop celebrates 25 years in Archway
- Credit: Archant
As soon as Map Gift Shop opened in Archway 25 years ago, it was dismissed. “You won’t last,” one bloke told owners Kathryn Phalp and Ian Morris. Welcome to N19!
A quarter of a century on, it has not only survived but is as successful as ever.
The shop, in Junction Road, sells everything from ceramics to jewellery, and buys stock from local designers and artists.
Ian says: “We describe our shop as a community hub. I believe the reason for our success is being part of the community. We know what’s going on because we chat to our customers.
“I think that’s very important to be able to succeed in today’s climate. It’s as much about that as our range of gifts and stock, which we constantly change.”
You may also want to watch:
Ahead of the shop’s 25 anniversary next month, Ian adds: “Archway has changed. People are more accepting of what we do in terms of design and things we sell in the shop. People say about Archway: ‘It’s such a great place.’ I never used to hear that.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park