Business of the week: Map Gift Shop celebrates 25 years in Archway
- Credit: Archant
As soon as Map Gift Shop opened in Archway 25 years ago, it was dismissed. “You won’t last,” one bloke told owners Kathryn Phalp and Ian Morris. Welcome to N19!
A quarter of a century on, it has not only survived but is as successful as ever.
The shop, in Junction Road, sells everything from ceramics to jewellery, and buys stock from local designers and artists.
Ian says: “We describe our shop as a community hub. I believe the reason for our success is being part of the community. We know what’s going on because we chat to our customers.
“I think that’s very important to be able to succeed in today’s climate. It’s as much about that as our range of gifts and stock, which we constantly change.”
You may also want to watch:
Ahead of the shop’s 25 anniversary next month, Ian adds: “Archway has changed. People are more accepting of what we do in terms of design and things we sell in the shop. People say about Archway: ‘It’s such a great place.’ I never used to hear that.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 5 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 8 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?