Business of the week: Map Gift Shop celebrates 25 years in Archway
- Credit: Archant
As soon as Map Gift Shop opened in Archway 25 years ago, it was dismissed. “You won’t last,” one bloke told owners Kathryn Phalp and Ian Morris. Welcome to N19!
A quarter of a century on, it has not only survived but is as successful as ever.
The shop, in Junction Road, sells everything from ceramics to jewellery, and buys stock from local designers and artists.
Ian says: “We describe our shop as a community hub. I believe the reason for our success is being part of the community. We know what’s going on because we chat to our customers.
“I think that’s very important to be able to succeed in today’s climate. It’s as much about that as our range of gifts and stock, which we constantly change.”
You may also want to watch:
Ahead of the shop’s 25 anniversary next month, Ian adds: “Archway has changed. People are more accepting of what we do in terms of design and things we sell in the shop. People say about Archway: ‘It’s such a great place.’ I never used to hear that.”
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Walk with a map
- 7 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 8 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today