Business of the week: Meltdown gaming pub, Caledonian Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop by at Meltdown in the Cally – a pub dedicated to gaming.
Its tainted black exterior could be mistaken for your run-of-the-mill boozer. But step inside Meltdown Esports bar and it’s a different story.
Meltdown, perched on the corner of Caledonian Road’s junction with Bridgeman Road, is unique.
Opened in June 2013, it is a place for computer game enthusiasts to escape the confines of gaming inside thier houses.
Inside the bar, players sit glued to its fancy console systems. They are competing on the professional Esports gaming network – all while enjoying a beer or two.
You may also want to watch:
They play games such as League of Legends, Smash Bros and Starcraft 2 – a personal favourite of owner Duncan Morrison.
He says: “A lot of our regulars say: ‘I love London but it can be quite an impersonal place.’ For me, Meltdown is an exception to that. This bar makes it much easier to find and meet other people with a common interest.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 7 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
- 8 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 9 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 10 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing