Business of the week: Meltdown gaming pub, Caledonian Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop by at Meltdown in the Cally – a pub dedicated to gaming.
Its tainted black exterior could be mistaken for your run-of-the-mill boozer. But step inside Meltdown Esports bar and it’s a different story.
Meltdown, perched on the corner of Caledonian Road’s junction with Bridgeman Road, is unique.
Opened in June 2013, it is a place for computer game enthusiasts to escape the confines of gaming inside thier houses.
Inside the bar, players sit glued to its fancy console systems. They are competing on the professional Esports gaming network – all while enjoying a beer or two.
They play games such as League of Legends, Smash Bros and Starcraft 2 – a personal favourite of owner Duncan Morrison.
He says: “A lot of our regulars say: ‘I love London but it can be quite an impersonal place.’ For me, Meltdown is an exception to that. This bar makes it much easier to find and meet other people with a common interest.”
- 1 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 5 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 6 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 7 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 8 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 9 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found