Business of the week: Meltdown gaming pub, Caledonian Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop by at Meltdown in the Cally – a pub dedicated to gaming.
Its tainted black exterior could be mistaken for your run-of-the-mill boozer. But step inside Meltdown Esports bar and it’s a different story.
Meltdown, perched on the corner of Caledonian Road’s junction with Bridgeman Road, is unique.
Opened in June 2013, it is a place for computer game enthusiasts to escape the confines of gaming inside thier houses.
Inside the bar, players sit glued to its fancy console systems. They are competing on the professional Esports gaming network – all while enjoying a beer or two.
You may also want to watch:
They play games such as League of Legends, Smash Bros and Starcraft 2 – a personal favourite of owner Duncan Morrison.
He says: “A lot of our regulars say: ‘I love London but it can be quite an impersonal place.’ For me, Meltdown is an exception to that. This bar makes it much easier to find and meet other people with a common interest.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder