Business of the week: Meltdown gaming pub, Caledonian Road
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we drop by at Meltdown in the Cally – a pub dedicated to gaming.
Its tainted black exterior could be mistaken for your run-of-the-mill boozer. But step inside Meltdown Esports bar and it’s a different story.
Meltdown, perched on the corner of Caledonian Road’s junction with Bridgeman Road, is unique.
Opened in June 2013, it is a place for computer game enthusiasts to escape the confines of gaming inside thier houses.
Inside the bar, players sit glued to its fancy console systems. They are competing on the professional Esports gaming network – all while enjoying a beer or two.
You may also want to watch:
They play games such as League of Legends, Smash Bros and Starcraft 2 – a personal favourite of owner Duncan Morrison.
He says: “A lot of our regulars say: ‘I love London but it can be quite an impersonal place.’ For me, Meltdown is an exception to that. This bar makes it much easier to find and meet other people with a common interest.”
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?