Business of the week: Newington Green-grocer on his loyal customer base
- Credit: Archant
A greengrocer says the trick to attracting customers is changing up the produce and not selling pre-packed goods.
Bora Bora, 50, co-owns the Newington Green Fruit and Vegetables store and also has branches in Camden and St John’s Wood.
Bora, who says he started in the trade as an 11-year-old boy in Turkey, has been running the shop for the past 13 years.
“It’s not often you find local shops like this these days,” said Bora. “But people get a lot of good choice when they come here and we try not to sell the pre-packed stuff.”
He said they try to source seasonal British produce, but also get exotic fruit from countries like Columbia and South Africa.
You may also want to watch:
“When asked why the shop is so popular, Bora said: “The loyalty of our customers is the most important thing for us.
“Also, the younger generation who have started cooking now days – But we didn’t expect to be this successful.”
- 1 Can you help identify this man?
- 2 Islington mayor complains about ‘saturation’ of licenced venues in Archway
- 3 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
- 4 Islington pays tribute to Prince Philip who has died, aged 99
- 5 Church closes Highgate path over 'antisocial behaviour and assault'
- 6 Bowie-inspired bar in Finsbury Park faces opposition
- 7 Climate change: Nurture nature
- 8 Neighbours hit by noise nuisance from Gorillas' delivery centre told: ‘Deal with it’
- 9 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 10 LTNs, GP takeover, stabbings and road deaths