Business of the week: Newington Green-grocer on his loyal customer base
- Credit: Archant
A greengrocer says the trick to attracting customers is changing up the produce and not selling pre-packed goods.
Bora Bora, 50, co-owns the Newington Green Fruit and Vegetables store and also has branches in Camden and St John’s Wood.
Bora, who says he started in the trade as an 11-year-old boy in Turkey, has been running the shop for the past 13 years.
“It’s not often you find local shops like this these days,” said Bora. “But people get a lot of good choice when they come here and we try not to sell the pre-packed stuff.”
He said they try to source seasonal British produce, but also get exotic fruit from countries like Columbia and South Africa.
You may also want to watch:
“When asked why the shop is so popular, Bora said: “The loyalty of our customers is the most important thing for us.
“Also, the younger generation who have started cooking now days – But we didn’t expect to be this successful.”
- 1 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 2 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 3 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 4 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school