Business of the week: Newington Green-grocer on his loyal customer base
- Credit: Archant
A greengrocer says the trick to attracting customers is changing up the produce and not selling pre-packed goods.
Bora Bora, 50, co-owns the Newington Green Fruit and Vegetables store and also has branches in Camden and St John’s Wood.
Bora, who says he started in the trade as an 11-year-old boy in Turkey, has been running the shop for the past 13 years.
“It’s not often you find local shops like this these days,” said Bora. “But people get a lot of good choice when they come here and we try not to sell the pre-packed stuff.”
He said they try to source seasonal British produce, but also get exotic fruit from countries like Columbia and South Africa.
You may also want to watch:
“When asked why the shop is so popular, Bora said: “The loyalty of our customers is the most important thing for us.
“Also, the younger generation who have started cooking now days – But we didn’t expect to be this successful.”
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 4 How much do you know about Islington?
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 10 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'