Business of the week: Raab’s bakery in Essex Road celebrates 70 years
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we made a long overdue visit to popular Essex Road bakery Raab’s.
Essex Road favourite Raab’s has been baking bread and cakes for 70 years. The shop opened in Dalston back in 1948, then moved to Islington in the 1970s – and has been there ever since.
Unsurprisingly, it has built up quite the circle of loyal clients.
“A very high proportion of our customers are regulars,” Michele Rabb told the Gazette. “They used to come here with their parents, and now they bring their own children.”
The family business was originally set up by her husband’s father, who is now retired. His sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren run it today. Their selection of breads and cakes is a mix of local and international.
You may also want to watch:
“People like traditional recipes, such as the cheesecake or the Tottenham cake, but they also like to keep up to date and to try new things out.
“Everything is made here. We believe that if it’s how we would like it to be, than our customers will think the same.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 3 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 4 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 5 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 6 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 7 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 8 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years