Business of the week: Sunday, the cafe people queue for in Hemingford Road
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
In a new weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Sunday in Barnsbury, a cafe so popular that people happily spend hours of their weekend queueing to get in.
Barnsbury’s Sunday cafe is defined as much by the people standing outside as by those eating inside.
Take a late morning/early afternoon stroll through Hemingford Road on a Saturday or Sunday and you are guaranteed to see a huge queue of people waiting to get in.
In June 2013, Sunday took over the premises formerly occupied by the Fig restaurant. And it didn’t take long for the brunch hype to set in.
Co-owner Terrence Williamson says: “The queues started within the first year. At first, people were at the door at 9am and we joked they would soon be queueing around the corner.”
The food is as “Islington” as one would expect (expect plenty of buttermilk pancakes and avocado).
It means the cafe – and queue – is packed with well-off 20-something professionals at the weekend, while it has a loyal crowd of regulars during the week.
- 1 When the Arsenal team had tea with the Queen in Buckingham Palace
- 2 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman found 'safe and well'
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 5 New cabinet announced for Islington Council
- 6 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 Appeal hearing of MP Claudia Webbe gets under way
- 8 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 9 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 10 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
And Terrence says he’s unsurprised at Sunday’s success. “It’s the product we are selling,” he says. “We only use the best of what’s out there. We are reasonably priced and quite generous with our portions. And we are creative with our menu.”