Business of the week: Sunday, the cafe people queue for in Hemingford Road
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
In a new weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we visit Sunday in Barnsbury, a cafe so popular that people happily spend hours of their weekend queueing to get in.
Barnsbury’s Sunday cafe is defined as much by the people standing outside as by those eating inside.
Take a late morning/early afternoon stroll through Hemingford Road on a Saturday or Sunday and you are guaranteed to see a huge queue of people waiting to get in.
In June 2013, Sunday took over the premises formerly occupied by the Fig restaurant. And it didn’t take long for the brunch hype to set in.
Co-owner Terrence Williamson says: “The queues started within the first year. At first, people were at the door at 9am and we joked they would soon be queueing around the corner.”
You may also want to watch:
The food is as “Islington” as one would expect (expect plenty of buttermilk pancakes and avocado).
It means the cafe – and queue – is packed with well-off 20-something professionals at the weekend, while it has a loyal crowd of regulars during the week.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
And Terrence says he’s unsurprised at Sunday’s success. “It’s the product we are selling,” he says. “We only use the best of what’s out there. We are reasonably priced and quite generous with our portions. And we are creative with our menu.”