Business of the week: The Children’s Bookshop in Chadwell Street – selling new books for a quid
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. Though the Gazette usually objects to shopfronts with the Comic Sans font, The Children’s Bookshop in Chadwell Street gets away with it – because of its brilliant policy of selling books at just £1 a pop.
Most property developers lucky enough to own a shop unit in the heart of Islington wouldn’t think twice about converting it into a flat and watching extortionate rent flood in. Mark Dunford is different: he’d rather sell kids’ books at just £1 a pop.
Born and bred in Islington, Mark has run The Children’s Bookshop, in Chadwell Street off St John Street, for five years.
He explained: “I’m a property developer and I own this shop, and the one next door. The one next door used to be the bookshop, but the fella retired. I moved it to its current unit five years ago.
“It’s a nice family thing, and 99 per cent of the books are only £1. It’s nice to give back. If I didn’t have the freehold, I wouldn’t be able to sell them that cheap in the centre of Islington.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as being a good family meeting point for Mark, he added: “I absolutely love the place. It’s something to get up for in the morning. You meet so many different people here – from parents and kids to theatregoers from Sadler’s Wells around the corner.”
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Music production school leaves Abbey Road for move to Angel Studios
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes