Business of the week: What actually is ‘organic dry cleaning’ – and is it peak Islington?
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we hear from Universal, a family-run laundry shop in Brecknock Road now offering “organic” dry cleaning.
Just when you think you know what “peak Islington” means, along comes organic dry cleaning.
Universal Dry Cleaners and Laundry, in Brecknock Road, has made the bulk of its operation organic.
But what does that mean? Yani Zertalis, general manager of the shop, explained: “It’s like the normal dry cleaning process, only you use organic, biodegradable solvent rather than ‘perc’ – the chemical that is used by most dry cleaners.
“We are the first in Islington and Camden [the shop lies on the border] to go organic.”
You may also want to watch:
There are clear benefits, added Yani: “Organic dry cleaning is more environmentally friendly, but it also leaves the clothes softer and you see the difference with how the colour comes out.”
He concluded: “We took the decision all this is worth the investment.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
Universal is a family-run business – it was founded by Yani’s grandfather 65 years ago.