Business of the week: What actually is ‘organic dry cleaning’ – and is it peak Islington?
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we hear from Universal, a family-run laundry shop in Brecknock Road now offering “organic” dry cleaning.
Just when you think you know what “peak Islington” means, along comes organic dry cleaning.
Universal Dry Cleaners and Laundry, in Brecknock Road, has made the bulk of its operation organic.
But what does that mean? Yani Zertalis, general manager of the shop, explained: “It’s like the normal dry cleaning process, only you use organic, biodegradable solvent rather than ‘perc’ – the chemical that is used by most dry cleaners.
“We are the first in Islington and Camden [the shop lies on the border] to go organic.”
You may also want to watch:
There are clear benefits, added Yani: “Organic dry cleaning is more environmentally friendly, but it also leaves the clothes softer and you see the difference with how the colour comes out.”
He concluded: “We took the decision all this is worth the investment.”
- 1 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book
Universal is a family-run business – it was founded by Yani’s grandfather 65 years ago.