Business of the week: What actually is ‘organic dry cleaning’ – and is it peak Islington?
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we hear from Universal, a family-run laundry shop in Brecknock Road now offering “organic” dry cleaning.
Just when you think you know what “peak Islington” means, along comes organic dry cleaning.
Universal Dry Cleaners and Laundry, in Brecknock Road, has made the bulk of its operation organic.
But what does that mean? Yani Zertalis, general manager of the shop, explained: “It’s like the normal dry cleaning process, only you use organic, biodegradable solvent rather than ‘perc’ – the chemical that is used by most dry cleaners.
“We are the first in Islington and Camden [the shop lies on the border] to go organic.”
You may also want to watch:
There are clear benefits, added Yani: “Organic dry cleaning is more environmentally friendly, but it also leaves the clothes softer and you see the difference with how the colour comes out.”
He concluded: “We took the decision all this is worth the investment.”
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
Universal is a family-run business – it was founded by Yani’s grandfather 65 years ago.