Business of the week: What actually is ‘organic dry cleaning’ – and is it peak Islington?
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile a fascinating company doing business here in Islington. This week, we hear from Universal, a family-run laundry shop in Brecknock Road now offering “organic” dry cleaning.
Just when you think you know what “peak Islington” means, along comes organic dry cleaning.
Universal Dry Cleaners and Laundry, in Brecknock Road, has made the bulk of its operation organic.
But what does that mean? Yani Zertalis, general manager of the shop, explained: “It’s like the normal dry cleaning process, only you use organic, biodegradable solvent rather than ‘perc’ – the chemical that is used by most dry cleaners.
“We are the first in Islington and Camden [the shop lies on the border] to go organic.”
You may also want to watch:
There are clear benefits, added Yani: “Organic dry cleaning is more environmentally friendly, but it also leaves the clothes softer and you see the difference with how the colour comes out.”
He concluded: “We took the decision all this is worth the investment.”
- 1 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 2 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 5 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 8 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 9 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
- 10 'Light at the end of the tunnel': Upper Street shoppers excited to end lockdown
Universal is a family-run business – it was founded by Yani’s grandfather 65 years ago.