Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sainsbury's supermarket in Essex Road has been closed down temporarily after rats were captured on film crawling over the croissants on open display.
Stomach churning footage showed two rodents scurrying around in the bakery section of the shop before leaping behind some metal shelves and running away.
After the video went viral on social media, and users accused the supermarket giant of "putting their customers’ health at risk" store managers decided to deep clean the shop.
A Sainsburys spokesperson said: “We have strict processes in place to deter pests.
"Our Essex Road store is temporarily closed for deep cleaning and to help pest control investigate this sighting and introduce additional preventative measures.
"We’re sorry for the inconvenience this will cause our customers and we will reopen as soon as we can.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 7 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 8 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham