Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sainsbury's supermarket in Essex Road has been closed down temporarily after rats were captured on film crawling over the croissants on open display.
Stomach churning footage showed two rodents scurrying around in the bakery section of the shop before leaping behind some metal shelves and running away.
After the video went viral on social media, and users accused the supermarket giant of "putting their customers’ health at risk" store managers decided to deep clean the shop.
A Sainsburys spokesperson said: “We have strict processes in place to deter pests.
"Our Essex Road store is temporarily closed for deep cleaning and to help pest control investigate this sighting and introduce additional preventative measures.
You may also want to watch:
"We’re sorry for the inconvenience this will cause our customers and we will reopen as soon as we can.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 'Havoc' as squirrels invade Old Street council block
- 7 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 8 'Knife crime is still on the rise': JJ McPhillips' mum fundraises for education
- 9 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 10 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants