Islington company offers paid leave for miscarriage sufferers
- Credit: WeAgile
A digital creative studio in Old Street has launched a support package for anyone who has suffered a miscarriage.
Monshur Ali, co-founder of WeAgile in Old Street Yard is rolling out the policy for both men and women to access paid leave, following the lead from the New Zealand government last month.
The new legislation allows pregnant people and their partners to take paid time off work in the case of a miscarriage.
However, in the UK paid leave is only available to expectant parents who suffer a stillbirth after 24 weeks.
According to the miscarriage association, over one in five pregnancies ends in miscarriage.
You may also want to watch:
“I have connections with people who have had miscarriages,” said Monshur.
“It is crazy that the government or any company in this country hasn’t recognised what suffering miscarriages does on a mental and physical basis.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 5 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 10 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
“I believe every company, no matter the size, should consider applying this kind of support and access to their employees.
“Hopefully if one company in the UK does it, then there would be a snowball effect for more companies to follow suit seeing how it actually benefits people.”