Business of the week: Cahula, hula hoop lessons in Islington and King’s Cross
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, we profile and champion a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we spoke to Carla Rose, who turned her hula hoop addiction into a business.
It’s the classic start-up story. Turning your hobby into a business.
For Carla Rose, that hobby – or, as she puts it, “addiction” – was hula hooping.
She started her business, Cahula, and has now been an instructor for three years. Carla runs hula hoop classes in Islington and King’s Cross three times a week.
Two of them are fitness workouts while the other one teaches circus-style tricks.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “My customers are mainly women aged between 20 and 65 years. Most participants start my classes to learn something new and unusual, or as a fun way of getting fit and being active away from the gym.
“They quickly become addicted, just like I did, and once you’ve started, there’s no stopping you.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“They get a massive smile on their face as soon as they pick up a hula hoop. For me, sharing that joy and encouraging people to be active is priceless.”