Caledonian Road Tube worker causing a stir with whiteboard art
A TUBE worker who has been putting smiles on the faces of commuters with her marker pen art is to be immortalised in song.
Kim Kalan, 39, a customer services assistant at Caledonian Road station, Holloway, has been brightening up the ticket hall with her colourful and intricate whiteboard drawings – each accompanied by an upbeat message for the people passing through.
Her sunny artworks have made such an impression on one Holloway musician, Eoin Quiery, that he has written a song – and this month will head into the studio to record the track.
Ms Kalan, who lives in Crouch End, said: “When someone told me there was a song written about me I was quite disbelieving. Then he came in and serenaded me – I was gobsmacked. How often do people get a song written about them?”
The tube artist, who is a novelist in her spare time and is currently hunting for an agent for her first sci-fi fantasy book, has been decorating the boards for around a year. She does up to two a week, drawing in her breaks, when the station goes quiet and at the end of her shifts, with an array of fantastical landscapes, a Mona Lisa, a World Cup football match among her many striking works.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Quiery, 35, a singer and guitarist, of Freegrove Road, Holloway, said: “The pictures just cheer everybody up when they are making their way into a work on a dreary morning. It’s great to see somebody with such a positive attitude. I wanted to capture her positivity in the music.”
He will record the song with his acoustic rock band Burning Wheel, who are working on an album, later this month.
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
He added: “I posted the pictures on Facebook and everyone has loved them. People around the world have been talking about them.”