Cally councillor ‘so pleased’ at becoming new Islington mayor
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Una O’Halloran has promised to “throw herself into the role” after being sworn in as Islington’s new mayor.
The Caledonian ward representative took over from outgoing mayor – and Jeremy Corbyn aide – Cllr Kat Fletcher at Islington’s annual general meeting in the town hall last night.
Cllr O’Halloran grew up in the borough and has been a councillor since her election in 2014. She served as Cllr Fletcher’s deputy last year.
Her chosen charity is the Angel Shed Theatre, an inclusive theatre company providing opportunities for children and young people across Islington to participate in performing arts.
Cllr O’Halloran said: “I am so pleased to become mayor of Islington and I am looking forward to throwing myself into the role.
You may also want to watch:
“Islington is a fantastic borough and the mayor has the privilege of meeting a wide range of people and community organisations, experiencing first-hand some of the great work that they do.
“I am delighted to be supporting the Angel Shed Theatre as the mayor’s charity this year. They offer the chance for children from different backgrounds to be involved in drama and ensure that theatre is accessible for all.”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
Hillrise Clllr Dave Poyser is the new deputy mayor.