Cally councillor ‘so pleased’ at becoming new Islington mayor
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Una O’Halloran has promised to “throw herself into the role” after being sworn in as Islington’s new mayor.
The Caledonian ward representative took over from outgoing mayor – and Jeremy Corbyn aide – Cllr Kat Fletcher at Islington’s annual general meeting in the town hall last night.
Cllr O’Halloran grew up in the borough and has been a councillor since her election in 2014. She served as Cllr Fletcher’s deputy last year.
Her chosen charity is the Angel Shed Theatre, an inclusive theatre company providing opportunities for children and young people across Islington to participate in performing arts.
Cllr O’Halloran said: “I am so pleased to become mayor of Islington and I am looking forward to throwing myself into the role.
“Islington is a fantastic borough and the mayor has the privilege of meeting a wide range of people and community organisations, experiencing first-hand some of the great work that they do.
“I am delighted to be supporting the Angel Shed Theatre as the mayor’s charity this year. They offer the chance for children from different backgrounds to be involved in drama and ensure that theatre is accessible for all.”
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 7 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 8 London among areas where drought is declared
- 9 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 10 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
Hillrise Clllr Dave Poyser is the new deputy mayor.