Cally councillor ‘so pleased’ at becoming new Islington mayor
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Una O’Halloran has promised to “throw herself into the role” after being sworn in as Islington’s new mayor.
The Caledonian ward representative took over from outgoing mayor – and Jeremy Corbyn aide – Cllr Kat Fletcher at Islington’s annual general meeting in the town hall last night.
Cllr O’Halloran grew up in the borough and has been a councillor since her election in 2014. She served as Cllr Fletcher’s deputy last year.
Her chosen charity is the Angel Shed Theatre, an inclusive theatre company providing opportunities for children and young people across Islington to participate in performing arts.
Cllr O’Halloran said: “I am so pleased to become mayor of Islington and I am looking forward to throwing myself into the role.
You may also want to watch:
“Islington is a fantastic borough and the mayor has the privilege of meeting a wide range of people and community organisations, experiencing first-hand some of the great work that they do.
“I am delighted to be supporting the Angel Shed Theatre as the mayor’s charity this year. They offer the chance for children from different backgrounds to be involved in drama and ensure that theatre is accessible for all.”
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 9 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
Hillrise Clllr Dave Poyser is the new deputy mayor.