Calum Chambers signs Arsenal contract extension as he hails Unai Emery for ‘showing faith’ in him
- Credit: Archant
Unai Emery has persuaded Calum Chambers to sign a new long-term contract at the club with the defender praising the new boss for ‘showing faith’ in him.
The 23-year-old defender had been pondering his future under previous boss Arsene Wenger last term after also being loaned out to MIddlesbrough the season before.
Chambers whose progress appeared to stall in North London, was signed from Southampton as a highly-rated young defender four years ago this summer.
His Gunners career has been patchy, making only 83 apperanaces since 2014.
However new head coach Emery is a fan of the 23-year-old, saying: “I’m delighted Calum has extended his stay with us.
You may also want to watch:
“He played an important role last season and will be part of my plans this season.”
Chambers made 24 appearances during the troubled 2017-18 season, including eight in the Europa League, a competition in which he performed well.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
Chambers is also a full England international three caps, making his debut while still a teenager aged just 19 in a 1-0 victory against Norway at Wembley.
He has also played for the England U17 and U19 sides as well as picking up 22 caps for the U21 side.
Chambers twweted on his personal account: “Delighted to have signed a new deal at Arsenal. I want to give my very best to this great club.
“Thanks to the new manager for showing faith in me. I’m looking forward to the big season ahead.
“I promise to repay the fans back for the support they’ve shown me.”