Calum Chambers signs Arsenal contract extension as he hails Unai Emery for ‘showing faith’ in him
- Credit: Archant
Unai Emery has persuaded Calum Chambers to sign a new long-term contract at the club with the defender praising the new boss for ‘showing faith’ in him.
The 23-year-old defender had been pondering his future under previous boss Arsene Wenger last term after also being loaned out to MIddlesbrough the season before.
Chambers whose progress appeared to stall in North London, was signed from Southampton as a highly-rated young defender four years ago this summer.
His Gunners career has been patchy, making only 83 apperanaces since 2014.
However new head coach Emery is a fan of the 23-year-old, saying: “I’m delighted Calum has extended his stay with us.
You may also want to watch:
“He played an important role last season and will be part of my plans this season.”
Chambers made 24 appearances during the troubled 2017-18 season, including eight in the Europa League, a competition in which he performed well.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe streets where you live?
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 9 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 10 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
Chambers is also a full England international three caps, making his debut while still a teenager aged just 19 in a 1-0 victory against Norway at Wembley.
He has also played for the England U17 and U19 sides as well as picking up 22 caps for the U21 side.
Chambers twweted on his personal account: “Delighted to have signed a new deal at Arsenal. I want to give my very best to this great club.
“Thanks to the new manager for showing faith in me. I’m looking forward to the big season ahead.
“I promise to repay the fans back for the support they’ve shown me.”