Can’t Dance - Theatre Review
Fancy sipping a martini whilst being insulted by glitzy neo-cabaret sensations? Then Bourgeois & Maurice’s CAN’T DANCE at Sadler’s Wells is the show to see.
GET your kicks from the best cabaret act of the 21st si�cle - as Georgeois Bourgeois and his bee-hived stooge Maurice Maurice hit the stage with their third, sequin-drenched, show Can’t Dance.
Dynamic duo Bourgeois & Maurice put their imprint on our most treasured genres - ballet, hip hop, contemporary and Morris dancing. Oh, and they do a strip tease whilst satirising tax increases.
But, you may ask, can they dance? I am not sure, dear reader, but they are a bit better than Blondie.
As well as prancing they perform original songs - with Maurice on the old Joanna - crack wry jokes and invite the odd lucky audience member to sip a martini whilst being violently insulted.
You may also want to watch:
As if this was not enough, in the background there is film footage of an avant-garde lesson with Blackpool performance artist David Hoyle, who attempts to force feed our intrepid pair stale ambrosia creamed rice. And, there is a cartoon of them meeting surly Sergei Diaghilev in gay Paris.
There is not page space to mention the costume changes.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 9 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 10 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
With good cabaret thinner on the ground than a non-rigged reality show, do not pass up the chance to see the glitziest show of the season.
* Showing at Sadler’s Wells, Lilian Baylis Studio, in Rosebery Avenue, EC1, until Thursday, December 23.