Candle lit vigil for Alan Cartwright set for Islington tonight
- Credit: Archant
Part of Caledonian Road to be closed so family and friends can remember killed teen
A wounded community will join the grieving family of teenager Alan Cartwright in a candle lit vigil tonight, exactly seven days after his death.
Hundreds of locals are expected to turn up outside Cally Pool on Caledonian Road, Islington, to pay their respects to the 15-year-old’ at the spot where he died from a stab wound to the chest last Friday.
Those who did not know Alan are invited to join with his family and friends to show community strength and outrage at the attack which happened while the teenager was cycling north up the road with friends.
Candles will be lit for Alan between 7 and 8pm and Islington Council will close a section of Caledonian Road near Cally Pool from 6.45 to 8.15pm to allow people to pay their respects.
You may also want to watch:
A sponsored cycle ride planned for what would have been Alan’s 16th birthday on June 6 has so far raised £605 in 42 hours, with money going to support Stop Knives Save Lives, which was set up in memory of Islington teenager Ben Kinsella, The Henry Hicks Foundation, and a memorial for Alan.
To donate to the cause follow this link.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream