Candle lit vigil for Alan Cartwright set for Islington tonight
- Credit: Archant
Part of Caledonian Road to be closed so family and friends can remember killed teen
A wounded community will join the grieving family of teenager Alan Cartwright in a candle lit vigil tonight, exactly seven days after his death.
Hundreds of locals are expected to turn up outside Cally Pool on Caledonian Road, Islington, to pay their respects to the 15-year-old’ at the spot where he died from a stab wound to the chest last Friday.
Those who did not know Alan are invited to join with his family and friends to show community strength and outrage at the attack which happened while the teenager was cycling north up the road with friends.
Candles will be lit for Alan between 7 and 8pm and Islington Council will close a section of Caledonian Road near Cally Pool from 6.45 to 8.15pm to allow people to pay their respects.
You may also want to watch:
A sponsored cycle ride planned for what would have been Alan’s 16th birthday on June 6 has so far raised £605 in 42 hours, with money going to support Stop Knives Save Lives, which was set up in memory of Islington teenager Ben Kinsella, The Henry Hicks Foundation, and a memorial for Alan.
To donate to the cause follow this link.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping