Canonbury band channel the spirits of swing greats Count Basie and Louis Jordan
- Credit: Archant
Canonbury band The Silver Ghosts will be channelling the spirits of swing greats from Count Basie to Louis Jordan.
The group is leading a swing revival with a new monthly night at The Canonbury pub in Canonbury Place.
The Canonbury Caper takes place on the second Tuesday of every month.
Band leader Mark Aguera, nicknamed The Colonel, said: “We started just over two years ago when I suggested to my friend Karl to learn the ukulele.
“The look is considered an important part. Some of us know a few period partner dance moves as well, and sometimes we like to swing out while we’re performing.
You may also want to watch:
“The DJs play nothing but original 78s on period equipment while patrons express their passion for swing jazz, sometimes just through their period garb but mostly on the dance floor with classically energetic partner dances.”
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 How much do you know about Islington?
- 3 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 4 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 5 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 6 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 7 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 8 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 9 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 10 'Eidevall has turned Arsenal from believers into contenders'