Canonbury band channel the spirits of swing greats Count Basie and Louis Jordan
- Credit: Archant
Canonbury band The Silver Ghosts will be channelling the spirits of swing greats from Count Basie to Louis Jordan.
The group is leading a swing revival with a new monthly night at The Canonbury pub in Canonbury Place.
The Canonbury Caper takes place on the second Tuesday of every month.
Band leader Mark Aguera, nicknamed The Colonel, said: “We started just over two years ago when I suggested to my friend Karl to learn the ukulele.
“The look is considered an important part. Some of us know a few period partner dance moves as well, and sometimes we like to swing out while we’re performing.
You may also want to watch:
“The DJs play nothing but original 78s on period equipment while patrons express their passion for swing jazz, sometimes just through their period garb but mostly on the dance floor with classically energetic partner dances.”
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 3 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 7 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 8 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 9 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed