Canonbury care home collective launch exhibition
- Credit: Archant
A group of residents, families and staff at Canonbury care home have launched a thought-provoking art exhibition about the politival and social nuances of living in a care home.
The Mildmay Collective, of Mildmay Park, in Mildmay Grove, produced the mixed media show co-led by artists Amy Pennington and Clea House.
The pieces reflect the struggles of residents, many of whom are wheelchair users, and their perception of how societies view them.
Jenny Kay, Cllr for LB Islington, said: “We are proud to support The Mildmay Collective’s work in engaging, through art, adults who have a range of disabling conditions in our ward. When we met some of the members they were passionate about how the project had helped improve their wellbeing, allowed them to think creatively and gain the confidence to enter new environments.”
Marian Howell, Activities Coordinator at Mildmay, said: “It’s been a fantastic privilege to have The Mildmay Collective project with us at Mildmay Park. Both artists spent much time in getting to know the residents and this has been reflected in the wide range of art forms produced, from animation and film to costume and photography. This personal approach has also benefited many of our residents greatly, increasing their confidence to get out and about more, strengthening relationships, and enabling them to use art to express their feelings and frustrations.”
The exhibition runs until May 23.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op