Canonbury care home collective launch exhibition
- Credit: Archant
A group of residents, families and staff at Canonbury care home have launched a thought-provoking art exhibition about the politival and social nuances of living in a care home.
The Mildmay Collective, of Mildmay Park, in Mildmay Grove, produced the mixed media show co-led by artists Amy Pennington and Clea House.
The pieces reflect the struggles of residents, many of whom are wheelchair users, and their perception of how societies view them.
Jenny Kay, Cllr for LB Islington, said: “We are proud to support The Mildmay Collective’s work in engaging, through art, adults who have a range of disabling conditions in our ward. When we met some of the members they were passionate about how the project had helped improve their wellbeing, allowed them to think creatively and gain the confidence to enter new environments.”
Marian Howell, Activities Coordinator at Mildmay, said: “It’s been a fantastic privilege to have The Mildmay Collective project with us at Mildmay Park. Both artists spent much time in getting to know the residents and this has been reflected in the wide range of art forms produced, from animation and film to costume and photography. This personal approach has also benefited many of our residents greatly, increasing their confidence to get out and about more, strengthening relationships, and enabling them to use art to express their feelings and frustrations.”
You may also want to watch:
The exhibition runs until May 23.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital