Canonbury schoolgirl joins Cheryl Fernandez-Versini at tonight’s Oxford Street Christmas light switch on
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Canonbury schoolgirl will join X Factor judge Cheryl Fernandez-Versini as she switches on the Oxford Street Christmas lights tonight.
Lauren Kidd, 16, a pupil at North Bridge House, in Canonbury Place, will sing in front of thousands at the gala event alongside boy band Rixton and singer/songwriter Jess Glynne after she won a talent competition.
Entrants to musical showdown had to upload a song to Facebook.
The song to get the most ‘likes’ was the winner - Lauren claimed top spot with her rendition of No One by Alicia Keys.
She said; “I don’t know how I feel right now, it’s all a bit unreal.
“When I found out I couldn’t believe it - I screamed.”
Lauren’s mum Clair Bolister said: “We are all so proud of Lauren, we’re over the moon.
- 1 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 2 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 7 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 8 Let's Talk: Campaign launched to tackle Islington inequality
- 9 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 10 Hundreds enjoy Jewish festival of lights in Islington
“She’s such a brilliant singer and she’s really excited about tonight.
“We’ll all be going down to watch her, grandparents, great-grandparents. We’ll probably all get lost in the crowd.”
The event, sponsored by department store John Lewis, starts at 5pm.