Canonbury schoolgirl joins Cheryl Fernandez-Versini at tonight’s Oxford Street Christmas light switch on
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Canonbury schoolgirl will join X Factor judge Cheryl Fernandez-Versini as she switches on the Oxford Street Christmas lights tonight.
Lauren Kidd, 16, a pupil at North Bridge House, in Canonbury Place, will sing in front of thousands at the gala event alongside boy band Rixton and singer/songwriter Jess Glynne after she won a talent competition.
Entrants to musical showdown had to upload a song to Facebook.
The song to get the most ‘likes’ was the winner - Lauren claimed top spot with her rendition of No One by Alicia Keys.
She said; “I don’t know how I feel right now, it’s all a bit unreal.
You may also want to watch:
“When I found out I couldn’t believe it - I screamed.”
Lauren’s mum Clair Bolister said: “We are all so proud of Lauren, we’re over the moon.
- 1 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 2 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
“She’s such a brilliant singer and she’s really excited about tonight.
“We’ll all be going down to watch her, grandparents, great-grandparents. We’ll probably all get lost in the crowd.”
The event, sponsored by department store John Lewis, starts at 5pm.