Charitable Finsbury restaurateur lays on festive meal for OAPs
Pensioners turned out for a hot meal and a spot of festive cheer at their favourite local fish shop.
George Hussein of Fish Central, in King Square, Finsbury, laid on a free Christmas dinner for Finsbury OAPs – and about 20 pensioners, together with Mayor of Islington Jilani Chowdhury, turned out to enjoy the roast with all the trimmings.
Mr Hussein, who came to the UK from Cyprus at the age of nine, has run Fish Central for 44 years.
And where it was once a humble fish-and-chip shop, it is now a 60-seater restaurant.
Six days week, it runs the EC1 Luncheon Club – in which members get a subsidised two-course meal and a hot drink for just �3.50.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hussein, who also lays on the free Christmas dinner every year, said: “A lot of these people don’t have a hot meal. They can’t cook for themselves.
“I have known these people all my life. I grew up with these people. So I like to give something back.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder