Charitable Finsbury restaurateur lays on festive meal for OAPs
Pensioners turned out for a hot meal and a spot of festive cheer at their favourite local fish shop.
George Hussein of Fish Central, in King Square, Finsbury, laid on a free Christmas dinner for Finsbury OAPs – and about 20 pensioners, together with Mayor of Islington Jilani Chowdhury, turned out to enjoy the roast with all the trimmings.
Mr Hussein, who came to the UK from Cyprus at the age of nine, has run Fish Central for 44 years.
And where it was once a humble fish-and-chip shop, it is now a 60-seater restaurant.
Six days week, it runs the EC1 Luncheon Club – in which members get a subsidised two-course meal and a hot drink for just �3.50.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hussein, who also lays on the free Christmas dinner every year, said: “A lot of these people don’t have a hot meal. They can’t cook for themselves.
“I have known these people all my life. I grew up with these people. So I like to give something back.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern