Charity shortlisted for Lord Mayor award for work in Islington school
- Credit: Archant
An education charity which pairs disadvantaged schoolchildren with investment bankers has been nominated for an award for its work in an Islington school.
Charity School-Home Support has been working with St Mary’s school in Islington to improve literacy skills, help raise attendance and build confidence.
SHS has partnered with investment bank Liberum for the task, with Liberum employees volunteering to read with the children once a week.
“It’s a little thing for us to do but helps them so much,” said Liberum employee Charlotte Marsham
“I didn’t know the extent to which some of the people SHS support needed help - when people think about volunteering and fundraising they don’t always think about people who are close to home.”
You may also want to watch:
The partnership has now been shortlisted for the Lord Mayor’s Dragon Awards 2016, which seeks to “recognise and celebrate organisations making an exemplary impact in London’s communities.”
62% of children involved in the programme improved their behaviour, while 100% of those with poor attendance figures improved them.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 10 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
Liberum also undertake fund-raising for the charity, and host ‘aspiration days’ where families can visit Liberum offices and learn about pathways to employment.
Lord Mayor Alderman Jeffrey Mountevans will present the winners with the award at a celebratory dinner on September 27.