Children escape as fire rips through Finsbury nursery building
- Credit: Archant
Almost 40 children escaped a fire amid noise and screams as an inferno tore through a block of flats.
The blaze took hold in a third home above Co-Operative Childcare, in Galway Street, Finsbury, at about 3.30pm on Thursday, forcing 14 staff and 38 children, as well as residents from the homes to evacuate the building.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters had the fire under control by 5pm, but the flat was completely destroyed, with damage to homes above and below.
No one was injured in the fire and the woman and her two sons, who are thought to live in the property, are said to be staying with relatives.
Faycal Lasri, 28, who lives on the floor above the flat where the fire started, said: “I was in the flat when I heard a lot of noise and screaming.
You may also want to watch:
“I went down and started helping people to get out.
“Everyone was very scared and nervous and with all the screaming it was very hard. The picture will stay in my mind for a long time.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 8 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Islington district seal victory over Camden
Fire station manager Keeley Foster, who was at the scene said: “Crews worked really hard in hot conditions to bring the fire under control. Fourteen staff and 38 children left a nursery on the ground floor before we arrived. Thankfully they were all uninjured.”
Two fire engines from Shoreditch fire station and one each from Clerkenwell, Islington, Dowgate and Homerton fire stations were at the scene.