Chinese New Year is celebrated in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Chinese New Year was rang in with 400 festival-goers from across the borough at the Islington Chinese Association celebrations on Saturday.
Islington Mayor Cllr Barry Edwards kicked off the ceremony at the Hatchard Road centre in Holloway by sharing words of wisdom to live by during the Year of the Horse.
He said: “It was a good celebration, very much home-grown. There were three lions in the lion dance, one of the biggest I’ve seen. It was pretty brilliant.”
Spectators at the festival on Saturday (February 8) were treated to entertainment including Chinese instrumental music, dance and a martial arts and tai chi demonstration.
They also enjoyed a traditional lion dance, which is thought to bring good luck.
You may also want to watch:
“The Chinese community is very good about celebrating things,” said Cllr Edwards.
“That’s one of the things I love about multicultural Islington. There’s usually something being celebrated and we usually try to join in!”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
The Islington Chinese Association is a London-based charity providing a range of services and activities for the Chinese community in the borough and beyond.
They offer a range of martial arts classes and Chinese Painting. For more information, email email@example.com or call 020 72535986.