Chinese New Year is celebrated in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Chinese New Year was rang in with 400 festival-goers from across the borough at the Islington Chinese Association celebrations on Saturday.
Islington Mayor Cllr Barry Edwards kicked off the ceremony at the Hatchard Road centre in Holloway by sharing words of wisdom to live by during the Year of the Horse.
He said: “It was a good celebration, very much home-grown. There were three lions in the lion dance, one of the biggest I’ve seen. It was pretty brilliant.”
Spectators at the festival on Saturday (February 8) were treated to entertainment including Chinese instrumental music, dance and a martial arts and tai chi demonstration.
They also enjoyed a traditional lion dance, which is thought to bring good luck.
You may also want to watch:
“The Chinese community is very good about celebrating things,” said Cllr Edwards.
“That’s one of the things I love about multicultural Islington. There’s usually something being celebrated and we usually try to join in!”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 4 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 Trial halted after Extinction Rebellion protester glues himself to the dock
- 10 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
The Islington Chinese Association is a London-based charity providing a range of services and activities for the Chinese community in the borough and beyond.
They offer a range of martial arts classes and Chinese Painting. For more information, email email@example.com or call 020 72535986.