Christine Bleakley-backed bike clinics to launch in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Bike clinics backed by ITV presenter Christine Bleakley will launch in Islington this weekend to tackle soaring numbers riding bikes not fit for the road.
The clinics are in reaction to recent research showing that, although more journeys are being made on two wheels than ever, three in five - 57 per cent - people are riding bikes not fit for purpose, leading to an increasing number of breakdowns.
But Barclays – sponsor of Boris bikes – is behind the clinics which will offer free safety checks in Rosemary Gardens this Saturday (18) and on May 25.
The study of more than 1,000 bike owners by the high street bank reveals nearly one in five - 18 per cent - people cycle in the dark with no lights, while 27 per cent are riding around with flat tyres.
Ashok Vaswani, of Barclays, said: “Our research reveals one in five cyclists don’t know how to do any bike maintenance whatsoever.
You may also want to watch:
“At our bike clinics, cycles will get a free once over by a qualified mechanic and cyclists will be given some basic bike maintenance tips.
“We want to inspire as many people as possible to cycle and our research shows 15 per cent of people would cycle more in London if they knew how to better maintain their bikes.”
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 8 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
Cyclists can visit Rosemary Gardens between 12 and 2pm on the 18 and 25 for a free check up.