'Let Christmas in Islington start today': Light switch-on enjoyed in Angel
- Credit: Islington Council
The Mayor of Islington and Father Christmas launched the season of giving at Angel Central shopping centre with a light-switch on.
Families gathered at the mall on Friday evening around an assortment of Christmas trees and displays. Both the Mayor and St Nick posed for pictures and spoke to many as they passed around the site.
First the Mayor gave a speech but the job of turning on the lights was left to the main man, Father Christmas.
Mayor Troy Gallagher said: “Thank you all for coming. I have been asked to come and warm you all up for [Father Christmas] as he is coming with his reindeers for this special occasion.
“Thanks to all the parents and children for being here. Thanks to the centre’s management for organising this wonderful event.
“Enjoy this Christmas park. Enjoy the festivities. And most of all, enjoy [Father Christmas’s] presence.
“Let Christmas in Islington start today!”
The spectacle also included reindeer puppets around the centre and carols from cast members at the King’s Head Theatre.
- 1 Layout of new LTN around Upper Street revealed
- 2 CCTV: Footage of man sought by officers investigating sexual assault
- 3 Islington's Tory councillor calls for LTNs to be scrapped
- 4 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 5 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 6 Reclaim the Night: Women demand end to gendered violence in north London
- 7 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 8 Islington's Young Blessed Gifted sets up hip hop concert
- 9 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021