Christmas savings available on energy bills for hardest hit in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Hard-up households could shave £135 off their winter heating bill thanks to a government initiative.
The Warm Home Discount, introduced in 2011, could make a Christmas present for disabled people and low income families.
The cash will be credited to energy accounts next year, paid by all major energy suppliers and Islington Council is urging people to take advantage.
Cllr Rakhia Ismail, executive member for sustainability said: “Winter fuel costs are a particular cause for concern so we are promoting the Warm Winter Discount that will save up to 5,000 eligible residents £135 off their annual bill.”
Cancer survivor Adalet Basder of Canonbury said: “Because of my health I have to keep the heating on all the time.
You may also want to watch:
“My bill was £900 last year so this £135 reduction will make a big difference and means I can keep comfortable in my home.”
All applications need to be in by January.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 2 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 3 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 6 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 7 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 8 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 9 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
Go to www.islington.gov.uk/warmhomediscount or call the Energy Advice Service on 0800 953 1221 or 020 7527 2121 to find out how you can claim your discount.