Christmas savings available on energy bills for hardest hit in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Hard-up households could shave £135 off their winter heating bill thanks to a government initiative.
The Warm Home Discount, introduced in 2011, could make a Christmas present for disabled people and low income families.
The cash will be credited to energy accounts next year, paid by all major energy suppliers and Islington Council is urging people to take advantage.
Cllr Rakhia Ismail, executive member for sustainability said: “Winter fuel costs are a particular cause for concern so we are promoting the Warm Winter Discount that will save up to 5,000 eligible residents £135 off their annual bill.”
Cancer survivor Adalet Basder of Canonbury said: “Because of my health I have to keep the heating on all the time.
“My bill was £900 last year so this £135 reduction will make a big difference and means I can keep comfortable in my home.”
All applications need to be in by January.
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 3 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 4 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 5 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 6 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 7 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
- 10 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
Go to www.islington.gov.uk/warmhomediscount or call the Energy Advice Service on 0800 953 1221 or 020 7527 2121 to find out how you can claim your discount.