City and Islington College mentor to be given MBE.
- Credit: Archant
A formerly homeless single mum is to be given an MBE.
Sacha Corcoran, deputy director for learners and partnerships at City and Islington College, will be honoured for services to further education.
Winner of Britain’s Most Exceptional Working Mother in 2007, Ms Corcoran has worked in the education and skills sector since 1994, been an ambassador for single parent support charity Gingerbread and was a guest speaker on Woman’s Hour on BBC Radio 4.
She was a single mum at 16, raising her two children Ricky and Saffron whilst climbing the career ladder. Her role at the college is to oversee the students’ ‘‘learner journey’’ at the Centre for Business, Arts and Technology.
Ms Corcoran, said: “To receive an MBE is a huge honour and one that I hope I can use to inspire and motivate young people to dream big.
You may also want to watch:
“As a homeless teenager, living in hostels and becoming a young mum I would often reflect on how my life would pan out.
“This award is for all young people who think they can’t turn things around and for the all the staff at the College and in Further Education who dedicate their lives to making a difference.”
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair