City and Islington College pupils post best-ever A-Level scores
Students at City and Islington College received good news today as they posted the best-ever A-Level results in the centre’s history.
Sixth formers scored a stunning 99.1 per cent overall pass rate – with 73 per cent A* to C grades – while dozens of subjects reached 100 per cent passes.
The director of the college’s sixth form hailed pupils’ success, saying they have “done themselves proud”.
Petar Lekarski, 18, who secured a law place at Cambridge with A*, A and B grades in Economics, English and History, said: “I was supposed to get an A* and two As but they let me in anyway. I was in complete disbelief and it’s not quite sunk in yet, but I’m over the moon.
“It’s the best morning of my life so far. I was so worried and it’s just a big relief. I woke up my whole family screaming the house down after I checked the UCAS website.”
You may also want to watch:
Ibrahim Ahmed, 18, of Old Street, Finsbury, who achieved two A*s in Physics and Chemistry and A in Biology, said: “I did better than I expected. When I opened the envelope I could not believe it, I was in a state of shock and I was shaking.
“I’m feeling really happy now. I’m taking a gap year, but it means I can apply to where I want. I’m hoping to go to Cambridge to study natural sciences.”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Keren Abse, director of City and Islington College’s Sixth Form College, which is in Goswell Road, Finsbury, said “I am really pleased with another excellent year of results, our best year yet. With an overall pass rate of 99.1 per cent and with a considerable number of students who have gained top grades, our students have done themselves proud.
“The results are a tribute to the hard work of our students and their teachers and I am extremely pleased that so many students have got their first choice of university place.”