Closure of day centre a kick in the teeth for all
I AM so disgusted with the council because of its plans to close the Sotheby Mews Day Centre as outlined in the Gazette. This is a real kick in the teeth for Islington's elderly residents. The centre provides much needed support and is an essential life
I AM so disgusted with the council because of its plans to close the Sotheby Mews Day Centre as outlined in the Gazette.
This is a real kick in the teeth for Islington's elderly residents.
The centre provides much needed support and is an essential lifeline for elderly people in the borough. It is well run and attracts nearly 90 people a day, so I can't see why the council wants to close it.
The Labour council should stop making cuts like this. Stop blaming the government for all their problems and get on with running the council like we elected them to do! Instead, they are wasting our Council Tax money on their barmy ideas.
You may also want to watch:
For example, why on earth are we paying out for free school meals for children from Hackney, Camden and Haringey at a cost of nearly a million pounds a year? Why aren't those councils and their Council Tax payers paying for the meals?
Council Tax money collected here in Islington should be spent on Islington residents. The council should be ashamed. We fought the last time Labour tried to close Sotheby Mews, as we remember this month how we stood up to Hitler in The Blitz we will fight again - this time against the council's closure plans.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
Hundreds of people have already signed the petition and that is only the start. Hitler didn't win and neither will the council. - Liz Claire, Petherton Road, N5.