Closure of day centre a kick in the teeth for all
I AM so disgusted with the council because of its plans to close the Sotheby Mews Day Centre as outlined in the Gazette. This is a real kick in the teeth for Islington's elderly residents. The centre provides much needed support and is an essential life
I AM so disgusted with the council because of its plans to close the Sotheby Mews Day Centre as outlined in the Gazette.
This is a real kick in the teeth for Islington's elderly residents.
The centre provides much needed support and is an essential lifeline for elderly people in the borough. It is well run and attracts nearly 90 people a day, so I can't see why the council wants to close it.
The Labour council should stop making cuts like this. Stop blaming the government for all their problems and get on with running the council like we elected them to do! Instead, they are wasting our Council Tax money on their barmy ideas.
You may also want to watch:
For example, why on earth are we paying out for free school meals for children from Hackney, Camden and Haringey at a cost of nearly a million pounds a year? Why aren't those councils and their Council Tax payers paying for the meals?
Council Tax money collected here in Islington should be spent on Islington residents. The council should be ashamed. We fought the last time Labour tried to close Sotheby Mews, as we remember this month how we stood up to Hitler in The Blitz we will fight again - this time against the council's closure plans.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
Hundreds of people have already signed the petition and that is only the start. Hitler didn't win and neither will the council. - Liz Claire, Petherton Road, N5.