Coach tells striker to leave Arsenal and rescue his career
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner has been told to quit the club for the sake of his career by national team boss Morten Olsen.
Bendtner, who is one of the Gunners’ longest-serving players, is currently acting as back-up to first-choice forward Olivier Giroud and has made two starts, as well as five substitute appearances this season.
The Denmark international – who spent the last two seasons on loan with Sunderland and Juventus – netted a brace for his country in their World Cup qualifier against Italy last month.
But those are his only goals so far this season and Olsen, who coaches the Danish national team, believes the 25-year-old needs to secure a permanent move away from Emirates Stadium in the next transfer window.
“Bendtner scored two great goals for us in the game against Italy, but there were also things he lacked in the match and this only comes through playing games,” said Olsen.
You may also want to watch:
“It is for this reason that he should find something new this winter, and we know that well. I think he will make the recommendation to himself and that is the main thing.
“Footballers want to play football. He has maybe 10 years left to go and he must use them well.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 10 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
Bendtner, who is expected to feature in Denmark’s friendly at home to Norway on Friday, originally joined the Gunners from FC Copenhagen eight and a half years ago.
The striker has scored a total of 43 goals in 164 appearances for the club – the most recent of them coming in March 2011, in an FA Cup replay against Leyton Orient.